Saturday, March 31, 2012

Setting Fitness Goals

Hello Beautiful Ones,

One of the most difficult challenges in life is staying fit and healthy. During the years, 2008-2010, I gained 20lbs… that is 10lbs per year. It was various reasons why I gained so much weight so quickly: stress, poor eating habits, lack of exercise. I always tried new diets and exercises, but they failed every time. So early 2011, I decided to take action.  I found it useful to develop my own weight loss challenge for myself. I created a meal plan, actually used my gym membership, and worked with a personal trainer for motivation and strength training. But before I did any of this, I set goals for myself.

It is best when setting goals to present a challenge for yourself so you don’t get complacent or loss interest. Presenting challenges or increasing the level of difficulty will push your to conquer your goals. An action plan will reduce regressing back to old, unhealthy habits.

You can also use my HEALTH model that I used for hair goals to apply to fitness goals:

Have a specific plan and start now. Use specific goals. Don’t be too broad or vague. Don’t say, “I am going to work out”, instead you can say, “I will walk 4 days per week for at least 30 minutes”. See the difference?

Erase your negative attitude. You must remain positive. Negativity breeds failure. Please do not self-sabotage yourself with bad thoughts. You have to believe in yourself and believe in your goals.

Attainable & realistic goals. Understand that your body is unique to you. An unrealistic goal is to be 5’7’’ weighting 180lbs, and expect to be 140lbs in three months.  A realistic goal may be to be 5’7’’ weighing 180lbs and be 160-170lbs in three months.

Learn your body. Stop comparing your body to others. Do not assume skinny is healthy. The goal is to be fit not thin. Understand what exercises help you to burn the most fat and build muscle. Also, learn different healthy food alternatives that can replace the unhealthy foods you have been eating for so long.

Track your progress. Write your goals down and create a food and exercise journal.  Take pictures of yourself. Strive to reach target dates. A time limit will give you a sense of urgency and increase your desire to achieve your goals. For example, track how far you are running, how many laps you swap, how repetitions you do and the amount of weights you use. Get feedback if you are working with a workout partner, instructor, or personal trainer.

Have patience. Health is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Think in the present, not in the past. Your short term goals will lead to long-term success.

My fitness goal for 2012 is to consume more water daily, exercise for at least an hour 4-5 per week. Complete 3 5K’s, 2 10k’s, and one half marathon.

I hope my HEALTH model will be a useful tool in the journey for optimal health. I believe in you. Fitness does take hard work, stick to your goals and it will become second natural. If you have set backs, refer to your fitness journal for motivation.

 Most importantly, always consult a physician before starting any exercise program or making drastic changes to your diet.

Read my post, I Can’t get Motivated, for tips on how to get motivated to start a fitness program.
Please share your fitness goals for 2012! I would love to hear them!

Luv,

Hair Kitty Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment