Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why I decided to be Natural



Quick Weave at College Graduation, August 2007
 
Hello Beautiful Ones,
Transitioning is the process of growing your hair out in its natural textured state without chemical treatments.  The time since your last relaxer.
It was not easy for me to make the decision to be fully relaxer free. I remember one of my best friends transitioned in middle school. At that time it was extremely difficult to find women who wore their hair natural and hairdressers that would style natural hair. I attempted to transition while in my senior year of high school and that was a disaster. I was left with a dry, un-styled, puffy mess. It was my lack of knowledge and will power that made me go back to a chemical relaxer. In recent years, the natural hair community is growing. Thousands of women have gone natural by either transitioning or doing the big chop. There are so many resources now to help us with our hair: Natural hair care books, professional natural hairstylists, forums, YouTube, etc.

In college, I had my hair cut into a cute pixie cut and wore that for one year.  I had a change of heart and wanted to grow my hair. It was not until my college graduation, that I began to wear hair weaves (The reason: I did not want to appear bald-headed under my cap). From 2007-2011, I consistently wore hair weaves to transition. Honestly, I was ashamed of my hair. Underneath the tracks, it was not chemically treated, so I did not know what to do with it, especially in its awkward growth stages. My sister went natural in 2008 and I was in awe of how positively her hair changed.  She inspired me to let my hair breathe and save some money by going natural.
Hair extensions provide stylist, convenient and flexible style options; however, wearing a weave is a major financial undertaking. Getting my hair done sometimes was like paying a car note. My views on weaves have changed. I only want to use hair extensions as protective styling not as a crutch. This year I got tired of pouring my money into hair that was not even mine and start learning what I can do with my natural hair. Now I am hooked. I began reading books on black hair care, reading black hair forums online, and watching several YouTube videos.
 Top reasons why I decided to go natural:
  1. I feel liberated
  2. I was tired of only wearing extensions
  3. I was tired of my damaged relaxed hair with excessive dryness and shedding
  4. I was curious about my natural curly texture
  5. I have more styling options that fits my lifestyle
  6. Saves me money
For the first time in my life, I can proudly say, I love my hair! I am still learning something new everyday. 
Puff, March 2012


Please share why you decided to go natural & why you love being natural.
Whether you prefer to wear your hair straight, wavy, or curly... Love you hair!

Luv,

Hair Kitty Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment