Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Guide to Running

Journey to the 2012 AJC Peachtree Road Race



Hello Beautiful Ones,

One of my favorite ways to get fit is by running. It is my therapy. It is one of the best ways for me to stay in shape and also relieve stress. As of last year, I began to do 5k runs (5k= 3.12 miles) just for the competitive edge. It is not like I'm competing for money or with other runners, but I enjoy the opportunity to push and challenge myself to conquer my goals.

The AJC Peachtree Road Race is an Atlanta institution. The event attracts runners and walkers from all over the US, about 60,000 participants. It is also great way to celebrate the Fourth of July.

I completed the Atlanta Journal Constitution Peachtree Road Race on July 4, 2011 in about . The AJC Peachtree Road is a 10k (10k= 6.24 miles). I finished in about 1 hour; 16 minutes.  I was disappointed with my time. This race is not as easy as it appears. You must have the right attitude and you must train well. The humidity on race day was working against me; however, this year there will be no excuses. This year's race will be held, Wednesday, July 4, 2012. The AJC Peachtree Road Race starts in Buckhead near Lenox Square Mall and ends in Piedmont Park. The reasons I do the race is for the challenge, I do it for the camaraderie, and most of all, I do it for the T-shirt. Last year, I can proudly say that I EARNED my T-shirt. For me, it is like earning the all-star trophy award for Most Valuable Player. Crossing the finish line is the ultimate reward for a job well done.

If I can complete a 10k, you can too!

Over the next eight weeks, I will track my progress. You may find this helpful if you are interested in walking, jogging, or running as a fitness activity to get started, or participating in local 5k or 10k run. I will give tips that I use to prepare myself for the race, including nutrition, exercises/ strength-training exercises, and athletic clothing ideas. I will find safe, local areas in Atlanta for you to train.

My ultimate goal is to be able to complete a half marathon (half marathon=13.1 miles). Wish me luck!

Getting Started: Things to Consider
  • Keep a running journal to schedule your running sessions & track your progress
  • Find a way to enjoy your walk/run
  • Find 3-4 days a week that your schedule will allow at least 30-45 minutes of walking and/or running
  • Walk/run every other day in the beginning to establish a solid exercise pattern. This will allow your muscles to recover and rebuild more quickly.
  • Find a running group for motivation, saftey, and encouragement.
  • Walk/Run at a time when the temperature is most comfortable for you.
  •  Walk/Run at a slow pace for 10-15 minutes, and gradually increase pace to a comfortable speed
  • Walk/Run to upbeat music
  • During times where it is not feasible to walk/run outdoors, find an indoor track, or walk/run on the treadmill
  • Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
  • Register to walk/run in a local 5k to motivate you on your journey
  • Don't let 3 days go by without some form of exercise. However, take extra days off for aches and pains to avoid a burnout
  • Think positive
  • Reward yourself after each run or walk with a delicious, healthy snack and a cheat meal once per week
Week One (Beginners):

Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun
30 Minutes of Walk/Run Intervals
Alternate:
Speed Walk:  12-13 minutes
Lightly Jog: 1-2 minutes

  • ABS Workout
Off
30 Minutes of Walk/Run Intervals
Alternate:
Speed Walk: 12-13 minutes
Lightly Jog: 1-2 minutes







  • ABS Workout
  • Off
    Speed Walk: 20 Minutes

    Strength Train Legs:

    ·         Squats
    ·         Lunges
    ·         Seated Press
    ·         Hamstring Curls
    ·         Calf Raises
    Off
    30-35 Minutes of Walk/Run Intervals
    Alternate:
    Speed Walk  13-15 minutes
    Lightly Jog:
    2-3 minutes







  • ABS Workout




  • Good luck on your journey to optimal health!


    Luv,



    Hair Kitty Kitty


    Photo Credit:
    http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org

    No comments:

    Post a Comment